Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Dating advice

M_:
I was in a bummer mood the other week though.
Me:
Oh? Why?
M_:
It was over a boy of course.
Me:
Do tell.
M_:
I went out on a date with this guy I met from the Internet. He sounded like a nice guy or else I would not have gone out with him. But it just didn't go well.
Me:
What happened?
M_:
We went on a cross country ski date so that involved spending a few hours together in the car and stuff. And all he ever did was talk about himself. He never asked me anything, he never really showed any interest in me or what I do. It left me wondering what was wrong with me. Did he not like me? Did he think my ass was too big? Did I smell funny? I don't get it. My friends told me that it was him and not me but it still made me feel bad.
Me:
Want my opinion?
M_:
Yeah.
Me:
The guy is a dick. Don't waste any more time on him.
M_:
What do you mean?
Me:
Well, I don't know all the details, but from what you said he sounds like the sort of guy that thinks he can impress you and sweep you off your feet by talking himself up. Trying to show off what a great catch he is. As far as he is concerned, in dating it's the girls job to swoon over how great he is. He never considered the idea that you are more impressed when people share and find common things and have conversations. If the guy doesn't bother finding out anything about you that's his problem. There is nothing wrong with you. You shouldn't let that get you down.
M_:
Yeah, I'm glad to hear that. It's good to get a guys perspective.
Me:
Don't get me wrong, it's good to see you out dating and meeting people and stuff. Just don't get hung up on this guy. Treat it like a practice date. You are just practicing your dating on the substandard jerks until the right guy comes along and then you can go on a real date and really impress the guy with how much fun you are to go out with.
M_:
I just don't get dating. You know. I've only ever gone out with guys I already knew from somewhere. This dating thing is hard.
Me:
Yes, it is. But like I say, just use it as practice and don't get hung up on anyone. You will do fine.
M_:
So maybe I shouldn't have asked him out again.
Me:
You did what?
M_:
Well I thought I had done something wrong and that if we tried again it would work out a little better.
Me:
No, no. Blow him off.
M_:
Yeah, your right. Fuck him.
Me:
Well, you can if you want to. You are a grownup.
M_:
Fuck you too.
Me:
Okay.