Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Saturday, November 03, 2007

Finding yourself

She:
I just want to get away from all this. All these things I have here in my home. I want to go somewhere else to find myself. I think this place and all these things have sort of gotten in the way of the real me. I want to find out what kind of person I really am.
Me:
That's cool. Nothing wrong with that. But I already know what you will find.
She:
Really?
Me:
Well, not exactly. But I have a good idea. And the interesting thing is that you already know too. You just don't know that you know.
She:
So what am I going to find when I go to find myself?
Me:
All the things you bring with you.
She:
Huh?
Me:
Okay, this is what happened to me when I moved to Montana. I figured that going to the far side of the horizon would be a good way to re-create the true me. I could get away from some bad influences and make some good habits and things like that. And that worked, sort of. But when you go somewhere you take a lot of yourself with you. All your likes and dislikes, skills and wisdom and dreams and aspirations and so on. They stick with you. You can leave some things behind, but in the end you are going to find much of the same person in the new place as you were in the old place. And these things in you that survive the move, well, that is who you really are. You will recognize these things after you move because they have been a part of you all along.

Labels: , ,