Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.
Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
- The best way to see a new city is to run a marathon in it. (Half marathons are good too.) Spokane, I salute your beautiful city.
- I swear, the next race I run I will train for the last miles as much as I train for the first miles. (I think I told myself this after my last race too.)
- Do not fear the hills.
- It takes about a quarter mile to go from cold and underdressed to hot and overdressed.
- Hey race organizers; how about taking a ten cent piece of chalk and drawing a line on the sidewalk where the finish line is. Do the same for the starting line too. And get a gun or honk a horn or make some sort of loud noise to indicate the start of the race.
- More volunteers stationed in the last third of the course please. More cheering spectators would be good too. It's lonely near the end.
- It sucks when your watch battery dies at the starting line.
- Not knowing the time did not really affect my pace.
- Not knowing the time gives me less to think about while running.
- Who in their right mind thinks that watermelon is a good flavor for a sports drink? Are your really trying to make me barf mid race?
- In the latter portion of the race I asked all the volunteers I passed if I was winning. Some of them said yes, some of them said no, I don't think any of them found the question as amusing as I did.
- Some people run funny. How is it possible to move forward at a run while holding your knees together and throwing your feet out to the side? Also, dude, don't shuffle your feet. Pick your foot all the way up off the ground and then put the heel down first and roll across the ball of your foot and launch with your toe.
- I finished this half marathon in half the time of my last marathon back in 2003. Not bad for being under trained and having a nasty cold.
- Sorry girl right behind me at the finish line, but there was no way I was going to let you pass me in the last 100 yards of a race.
- Extra special thanks to the girl at the race start that directed us to the empty public toilet just out of sight from the hundred person long line for the port-a-johns.
- The next day I had almost no pain at all. That is good clean living right there.
- If you are ever passing through Coeur d'Alene, Hudson's is the best damn hamburger joint anywhere.
There is more Jones in the archives: February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 December 2009 January 2010 May 2014