Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Cowboy

A friend of mine would lament that she couldn't find decent guys to date because there were no cowboys. She wasn't in Montana when she said this and she was not referring to the clothes. It wasn't the hat, boots and belt buckle she was looking for, it was someone with a certain kind of heart. At the time I was a little smitten with this girl and the idea of being more cowboy like suddenly became appealing. Unfortunately I had no cowboy role models at the previous address. The question has hung with me ever since. How can I be more cowboy?

There are enough cowboys here in Montana that I am learning to recognize them when I see them. And no, it's not the hat that is the giveaway, it's more in the way they carry themselves. It's the style and the approach to problems and a way of presenting oneself without pretense.

Cowboys have a certain romantic appeal to them. They embody honesty, self sufficiency, hard work. They can be stubborn and single minded toward their lives, and there is little difference between work and life. In spite of the romantic view, they can also have some pretty abrasive personalities. I don't always understand what women see in them.

One think the thing I like about cowboys is the passion; for work and for land and for beasts. They can show great creativity and I have been awestruck by cowboy art and poetry. I am impressed that they find it important to take the time for poetry.

I am learning to understand cowboys more, but I don't think I completely get it yet. I don't spend much time with horses, but I hope it's not too late to be a cowboy when I grow up.

Comments:
I dunno - When I lived in Red Lodge they always said, "What do you call a cowboy without a girlfriend?"

The Answer was "homeless".

There are cowboys and then there are cowboys...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home