Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Monday, March 07, 2005

Marketing

I like internet radio, with persistence you can find some good music that 'real' radio stations won't play. Besides, I am growing a low tolerance for the advertisements that ordinary radio and teevee bombard me with. On the Yahoo! messenger gadget is a little tool for streaming down music. I put it to use the other day and listened to some nice tunes.

A most unfortunate thing happened. The music stream started playing an advertisement for Lays potato chips. I immediately clicked over to the music player and started hammering on the stop button. All I got back was a message that I could not stop playback during commercials. You don't tell me how I can and can't use my computer! thinks I, and with a few deft mouse strokes I had all internet traffic stopped at the firewall. Too late. The damage was already done. The entire commercial was already in the buffer and I had to suffer through the whole thing. Needless to say, I won't use the Yahoo! music player thingy any more.

The next day I found myself at the supermarket. In the potato chip isle I made a point to stop in front of the Lay's brand chips and let loose a stinky fart. Hopefully I discouraged someone from a purchase and made that advertising model slightly less effective. Now I have to figure out how to deliver a fart to the goofballs at Yahoo! that think they have a say in how I use my computer.