Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Touching Friends

R__:
So have you been in touch with your friend M__ since your move?
Me:
Yes, I went and saw her the other weekend. She is pretty much the only friend I have in this state. I have been talking with her pretty regularly.
R__:
That's cool. How are things with the two of you?
Me:
Well, things are good. When we hang out together it's almost like we never broke up.
R__:
Uh, oh. Be careful with that. Someone could get hurt if you end up holding the torch again.
Me:
She broke up with me, and neither of us has found anyone else yet. It's just comfortable is all.
R__:
It's really hard to make friends out of someone you have dated you know. When I went back to * recently and saw D__ it was really emotional to leave again.
Me:
uh, huh
R__:
Nothing happened or anything, but staying at his place in his guestroom was the most comfortable place I stayed while I was there. I just know him so well and am so comfortable with him. But it was really hard to say goodbye at the airport again. Like breaking out in tears sort of hard.
Me:
Well, it's not quite the same with M__ and I.
R__:
I'm sure it's not, I'm just saying, in my experience it is really hard to make a friend out of someone I have dated. If I were to move back to * it would be too easy to fall into the habit of hanging out with him all the time just because he was the only person I know. It would be like dating again. But in the end we would have to break up again because I know that there are too many differences and I could never marry him and a long relationship just wouldn't work.
Me:
Yea, I understand, but at the same time I don't think there is anything wrong with spending time with someone who is comfortable to be with. Or holding hands or dancing close or any of that.
R__:
All I am saying is be careful, these things stir up emotions and when there are emotions involved it makes it too easy for someone to get hurt again. Like if one of you starts to see someone else there could be hurt feelings for the other person.
Me:
Well yea, but if there is communication and everyone knows where they stand; I mean, we are all grownups here. It's okay to have touching friends. It's okay to enjoy a moment with someone.
R__:
Just be careful.