Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Repercussions

The knocking on the door was coming from the landlady. She had an issue to discuss.

"I need to talk to you." She said. "I've had a complaint from your neighbor. You really need to keep the noise down at night."

"Oh, I'm so sorry." I feigned. "I didn't realize I was causing a problem."

"Well, the neighbors need their sleep. Just to remind you, the quiet hours here in this building are from 10:00 until 8:00."

"I'm really sorry. I guess I didn't realize how much noise I was making. I will make a better effort to tread softly and keep the stereo turned down at night."

I don't know what sort of complaint the neighbor lodged. The dear sweet churchgoing old landlady may or may not have known what she was scolding me for. She may simply have had that apprehensive look on her face because she doesn't like confrontation. I wasn't about to come out and say "sorry about the drunk chick screaming 'fuck me' late last night."

"Thank you for talking to me. I would never have known there was a problem otherwise."

"Thank you. And don't forget about those quiet hours."

The angel on the one shoulder was remorseful and apologetic. The devil on the other shoulder was chuckling about sweet timid landlady having to tell me not to have loud sex.