Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Assumption

R_:
I haven't told anyone about the job change or that I might be leaving by the end of the year because in my experience people make assumptions and I don't want to lead people to think that I'm not interested in being friends or building relationships.
Me:
Well, isn't that like playing games? Can't you just live in the now and make friends and go to movies and do what you do and worry about later, well, later?
R_:
In my experience most people don't live in the now the way you do. For example when I was working in * my boss just assumed that because I was American I was not going to stay around very long and he always passed me over for promotions. When I pointed out to him what he was doing and that his entire local staff had already turned over and I was his longest employee, he admitted right away he was making an assumption and I got the promotion shortly after.
Me:
Hmm, I may not have the same experiences with human nature that you do, but I still think that not being completely yourself with your new friends is sort of game playing.
R_:
Trust me, this is how it should be. I don't want to lose my new friends just because of something that might happen maybe later on. I don't want them to stop inviting me to stuff because I may be leaving someday.

...

So have you talked with K_ lately?
Me:
No not really, but I figured between her school and her new boyfriend she was pretty busy right now.
R_:
You see, you just did it. You just proved my point.
Comments:
*smile*
 
Post a Comment

<< Home