Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Haggle

Me:
I'm really disappointed.
Car Dealer:
Well?
Me:
I know I could spend this down payment money on my Honda and get another hundred thousand miles from it easy.
CD:
So what do you want to do.
Me:
I want to get more money for my trade in.
CD:
I can't give you any more than that.
Me:
You are quoting me 200 below blue book.
CD:
Blue book doesn't mean anything. I have to put money into detailing it, you said yourself that there are repairs, it has a lot of miles on it, it's just not a car I can sell for very much money.
Me:
The retail blue book value is two thousand dollars higher than that, you are lowballing the trade in value.
CD:
That's all the car is worth to me.
Me:
This really rubs me the wrong way. It's a good car. I know it has another hundred thousand miles in it. The only reason I'm moving on is because it has trouble on mom's driveway.
CD:
Well what do you want to do? These finance numbers are close to what you want.
Me:
Well... Do you think we could make those numbers more favorable by adding another $500 to the down payment?
CD:
Ok, lets see how that changes it.

...

CD:
Well that brought your payments down to XX.
Me:
But look at this; you are going to take my concession but you can't budge on the price or the trade in?
CD:
No.