Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

An Offer

R:
So here are all the sell prices for the neighboring units, we can use these to help figure out an offer.
Me:
Hmmm, yeah. This helps.
R:
It looks like most of the sales were at or close to the asking price. I'm not sure how low you can really go.
Me:
Well here, this is the low price. It looks like about half of them have sold for this.
R:
Yes, but keep in mind that was a year ago. If you offer too little the seller may not even bother to counter offer. Or worse, he could decide you are not worth dealing with and wont budge from his asking price.
Me:
Interesting game, this. All the more interesting because it's my money. I knew there was a reason I didn't like gambling.
R:
You can ask whatever you want really. The worst he can say is no.
Me:
Well let me do some math here, gimmie a minute. Lets see, that sold for… and that was… so you subtract that from… and so the difference is three percent. Hmmm. The calculator is not helping with my mind reading.
R:
Mind reading is never easy.
Me:
Well in my business I can usually mind read pretty well with a calculator. But I don't know anything about real estate. I don't know if these are the numbers he wants to hear.
R:
So what do you think?
Me:
Well, I have a couple numbers here that appeal to me. Matching this low price sounds good but you think that may be too low.
R:
Right, I don't think you will get very far with that.
Me:
This neighboring unit sold for three percent less than it's asking price, three percent off this price is X. I like that number, lets offer that.
R:
Sounds good. I'm curious if your mind reading will work.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Comments:
Keep in mind unless you've retained R as a "buyer's agent", he/she truly represents the seller, not you. It is in his interest to fetch a higher price for the property (afterall his cut is a percentage split with the listing agent), and he is obliged to pass on any information to the seller about whether he thinks you'll budge on your offer price.

I've never bought a house but that's what I seem to remember from real estate class.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home