Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

The people you meet in Montana

B_:
I've been thinking 'bout retirin'.
Me:
I've heard you say that before.
B_:
Well, it's my 60th birthday this month and this work is getting too hard. Too much heavy lifting.
Me:
Happy Birthday B_. You look like you are still going strong.
B_:
Well, I ain't what I used to be.
Me:
Maybe you just need a different job. Quit packing and just handle the trail rides.
B_:
I'm not even interested in ridin' much anymore. I've been working with horses since I was seven years old. You know, when I was exercising race horses I put on enough miles to go around the world four times. That's over ten thousand miles of just riding around the track.
Me:
That's impressive. Did you ever race? Were you a jockey?
B_:
Oh yes. Back when I was nineteen I was the tallest jockey in the United States. I weighed in at 110 dressed. I did that for about four years and then I went to New York and raced in the steeple chases. I did that until I got hurt. After that I spent a lot of years training the race horses. I've trained race horses in Japan and all over the U.S. and in Chili. Put on a lot of miles just going around the track.