Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Heater

The bead of sweat trickled down my temple reminding me that the heater was cranked on full. I glanced at the temperature gauge on the dash and the needle was holding just below the red line. So long as I keep the car moving so air passes over the radiator and keep the heater blasting she doesn't overheat. I pushed my hand out the window and deflected a cool breeze onto my face.

I think the cooling fan has died. But it could be the thermostat. Both easy repairs if I only had some time. But add to that the growing list of issues; the oil drip from deep inside the engine, the needed muffler, new brake rotors, the crack in the windshield, the mileage creeping up on 200 thousand. A round of repairs would cost less than a new vehicle but the final straw is the fact that I got stuck on mom's driveway last winter. I need a Montana friendly vehicle.

Zipping down the highway I pass a row of shiny trucks with price stickers painted on the windows. I give the dealership a longing glance as the heater vents out my open window. It will suck to give up a paid for vehicle with good gas mileage, but it is time. Perhaps I will have time to balance my checkbook when I get home.