Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Something New

Well it took close to two weeks of shopping. There were about a dozen car lots visited. Over 40 vehicles were inspected. Countless internet searches and reviews. About six test drives, three visits to the banker, and one excruciating afternoon haggling the trade in value of the old Honda (In Montana it ain't worth squat.) I am finally driving a new ride.

The new (used) vehicle is...
<Trumpets sounding ta-daa>
A Subaru Legacy Outback. (Wintergreen color)
<applause>

Formerly owned by a rental car company that I am assured only rents to little ol' ladies for Sunday drives, this vehicle should match my newfound Montana lifestyle. I am looking forward to loosing it in parking lots next to all the other Subaru's out there. Most importantly, it has a better chance of making it up moms driveway in the snow than the old Honda ever did.

I'd love to drive it over and show it off but with the price of gas these days I intend to use it mostly as a lawn ornament. ;)

See ya on the highways.

Comments:
"Formerly owned by a rental car company that I am assured only rents to little ol' ladies for Sunday drives"

As someone familiar with the rental car industry, this statement makes me cringe. The Outbacks are a big hit for rental companies in MT, especially in the winter because people like AWD in the snow. They are also a big hit in the summer for tourists going fishing/camping/abusing the vehicle.

This car probably received a lot of use. Even if the mileage is not high, you have to take into account that it has had many different drivers. There are a lot of quirks to a vehicle that take getting used to for anyone not familiar with the model, and each new driver might be driving an Outback for the first time. For instance, if you happen to have the sport model, a lot of people (especially little 'ol ladies) don't know how to shift or switch to automatic. They assume it is auto (why wouldn't it be?) and end up driving around town in 1st gear wondering why the RPMs are high and they can't get over 30mph. Also, it's my experience that rental companies tend to be lax on oil changes and maintenance (except for washing it, which they do in excess).

Anyway, I don't want to take the wind out of your sails. Subarus are great cars, and I wish I owned one myself. I just wouldn't buy a rental.
 
when i came back to montana last fall i flew into Glacier International...grabbed the keys to my rental car...and was pleasantly surprised to fine a lovely brand spanky new subaru outback sport as my chariot for the week. No one told me about the sport going from manual to automatic..and it took me a good ten miles on the highway before i figured it out. i put five hundred plus miles on in in seven days...i drove it through a field and got stuck in a ditch...i frequently had it up over 90 mph...it was fun. i hope that you did not buy the car that i treated like crap for a week.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home