Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Ultimate

R_:
I've been invited to a picnic and Ultimate Frisbee game.
Me:
Sweet!
R_:
So what can you tell me about Ultimate? It's not Frisbee golf is it?
Me:
No, it's not golf. Think more of a team sport like Frisbee football or Frisbee soccer.
R_:
Okay, so how does it work.
Me:
Without too many details it works sorta like this; you start with a big field, a soccer field or football field or grassy rectangular play area of some sort. Divide your group into two teams, people wearing white tee shirts vs. people wearing not white tee shirts is pretty common. You are not allowed to run while holding the Frisbee you move it by passing it to someone else on your team. When someone catches the Frisbee in the end zone that scores a point.
R_:
That scares me. I don't do so well with team sports and I haven't thrown a Frisbee since elementary school. When I try to throw a Frisbee it usually ends up going backwards over my shoulder. I don't want to be embarrassed.
Me:
So practice a little. It's just a Frisbee. If little kids can learn it so can you. Don't take it so seriously.
R_:
Will they let me just sit and watch?
Me:
Sure they will. Ultimate is big into sportsmanship. There are never any referees, not even in the leagues or bigger matches. It's all about sportsmanship and respecting each other. If you don't want to play then don't. But you should at least throw a little catch with someone. Go have fun.
R_:
Have you been able to play Ultimate in Montana?
Me:
No, I haven't found any groups in my area. I have heard of people playing around here. I've talked to people that know people that know people that play, so I know it exists. I just haven't found it yet.
Comments:
Jones I could hook you up. I have been hanging with the Ultimate group here in Roch for two years now. It's how I got the boy :) I gave up the sport part of it though because of the running, killed my knees. You just have to come visit out here so you can play...every Tuesday and Thursday.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home