Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Pet Peeve

My current supermarket pet peeve. That little section of the store they put aside for natural and organic products. If I had my way they would put all that stuff out on the shelves right next to the processed and homogenized crap. I hate making my walkabout through the store picking products and comparing labels and ending up at the front checkout only to realize that, hey, I could have gotten the good yogurt if I had just been in a different part of the store. And no, I am not about to take another circuit of the store just to replace a few things.

I'm not one of those hippie freaks that will only buy organic. My diet includes a goodly share of processed food stuffs. Don't get me started on my rant about the Good Food Store in Missoula. But if the organic and natural stuff were on the shelf right next to the equivalent processed products I would buy more of them. They taste good. And I wouldn't have to go out of my way to the organic section of the store to comparison shop labels.

The real reason those products are segregated; Garden of Eatin' Pico de Gallo corn chips. Oh yeah. If those bad daddies were on the shelf right next to the Doritos the poor Frito Lay company would have trouble selling product. I think the whole organic segregation thing is just a big conspiracy to keep people from learning about Pico de Gallo chips. Sorry Doritos, I will never have to wipe nacho cheesy finger grime on my pants again. I know where the good stuff is.