Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Olympics

Olympic coverage on teevee. Yup, I've been watching. It takes a rare event to get me to turn on the boob tube and the Olympics have done it for me. I've heard that the network is not getting all the viewers that they want from the big show but I don't understand why. If the games can get a die hard teevee hater like myself to turn the stupid box on I can't understand why people aren't watching. Of course it could just be a statement about my relationship with teevee. The only time I tune in is when everyone else tunes out. Someone's got to be the iconoclast I guess.

I like the coverage this year as opposed to past Olympics. More sports. They are actually showing the games instead of endless exposé's on the athletes struggles and trials to get where they are. Less heart wrenching crap this time around, the producers are actually letting me watch athletes go fast and do spectacular things. Pretty cool. They are letting the games speak for themselves and create their own stories.

I watched Lindsey Jacobellis do her little stunt at the end of the ladies snowboard snowcross and get smoked for it. That was drama and excitement that did not need any elaboration from the commentators. The other night I watch a figure skating pair take to the ice with scowls on their faces and shooting daggers at each other with their eyes. Compared with the smiling happy couples I thought they were doomed. They turned in a beautiful performance and at the end they were hugging and smiling and had obviously just mended a broken relationship in front of a worldwide audience of millions. Pretty cool again. I don't know if they got any medals for it, but from the before and after looks in their eyes I could tell they gained more than a sports prize.

Speaking of gaining more than medals, now would be a good time to plug my new favorite website. DFL. This site is for honoring all those heroes that do not win big at the games. Yes I said heroes. It is easy to sit by the teevee and rant at the screen about how your grandmother could do better than that. In truth neither grandma, nor I, nor most of us has the grit it takes to compete in the Olympics. Years of training, sacrifice, competitions, and high expectations just to get qualified. Sure I bet it stings a little to do all that work and be that good and have someone else just plain and simple do better than you. But all those who compete are heroes to me. They have shown some greatness that I can only aspire to and may never touch. So I am happy to turn on the teevee and sit on the edge of my seat and cheer for someone who's name I don't know from a country I can't pronounce. They are doing their best. One day I hope my best will be half as good as someone finishing DFL in the Olympics.