Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Dogs Darwin

By the time I had screamed out "Holy fuckin' shit!" the dog had already been crushed under my wheels with a gut churning double bump. I eased my foot off the brake pedal and looked into the rearview but the animal was already lost in the darkness. I didn't bother to stop.

"Stupid fucking dog" I said out loud to myself. I gripped the steering wheel and gritted my teeth in anger. It pissed me off more than anything else. I know animals don't know better than to stand out on the highway on dark rainy nights, but Christ it is hard to feel sorry for some damn dumb dog that walks out onto the highway on a dark rainy night. It is extra hard to feel sorry for the dog owner that can't keep their pet under control. It's a survival of the fittest sort of world and dogs on the highway at night just get darwined. That's all there is to it. It wasn't smart enough to survive.

By the time my wits were about me enough to think about clearing the carcass off the road so other motorists wouldn't have to deal with it, it was a half mile behind me. Perhaps I should have at least checked to be sure that it was dead. Perhaps it was a cynical bastard move on my part but I didn't do anything about it. I drove home. For the rest of the night I kept hearing an ex-girlfriends voice in my head. 'Animals deserve respect just like people do.' How the hell do you respect an animal that just shows up in your headlights on a rainy night and you can't swerve or break or even yell "Fuck" before it thumps under your wheels. How do you respect something so stupid that it can't get out of the way of something bigger and heavier barreling down at 40 miles per hour?

In the daylight the next morning I could see that my front bumper took some damage. A fog light got smashed in. Dog hair on the license plate. It made me sick. It made me angry. I was mad at all the stupid dogs in the world and all the stupid dog owners in Montana. I was mad at myself because I didn't do anything about it. I didn't know how to respect a dead dog.