Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Friday, September 15, 2006

I left my wallet in El Segundo

The whole day was building up to a cheeseburger and a beer. It was to be my celebration dinner for a job well done. Running errands through the afternoon, some exercise, a shower, cleaning up. Get dressed, grab keys, phone and… and… where the fuck is my wallet?

All the usual suspects are checked several times. My pockets, desk, kitchen, my pockets, bedroom, bathroom, car and my pockets. The ugly sinking feeling of having lost something valuable grows with each check and re-check.

The mental gymnastics are the most painful. Lets see, I had it out the other day when I checked that business card. No wait. I had to pull a buck out to buy a coke yesterday. That's it. Last place I used it. But what was in it? Drivers license, credit card, receipts, 30 or 40 bucks. Forget the money, I'll miss the phone numbers and business cards I kept there. And damn. Lost the costco card.

I abandoned plans for the cheeseburger, instead I scooted back to the office and retraced all my steps from the previous day. Looking under furniture and pacing through the garage. It's gone. One more thing to try. I stop as the gasit mart where I last remember using it. No luck. The helpful clerk girl digs around under the counter a little but no lost and found wallets.

It's gone.

Driving back home, very conscious that I have no drivers license on me, I am feeling grumpy and hungry from the missed cheeseburger. I figure I can still stop at the store and get myself something nice for my celebration dinner. It's only the wallet that is lost, not the entire day. I think chilidogs sound good. And how about a bottle of wine to go with that? Yeah. I am celebrating end of summer after all.

The checkout girl ten years younger than me asked for my ID to buy the wine. I don't blame the supermarket for adding insult to injury. I blame the universe.