Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Chick Music

Music in Montana is nothing like what I had back in Big City. I have grown an appreciation for bluegrass while here, I guess that is a good thing, but there is a new trend afoot that has me a little worried. I've been listening to lots of girl music lately.

I recently found myself at a Wailin' Jenny's concert. I have seen some interesting shows in my day. I've moshed at skate parks, I've head banged to metal, I've kicked it with ska, I've funked, rockabillied, and reggae'd. Good times. Nowadays I'm living in Montana and doing some mellow toe tapping to harmonizing girls.

I bought a CD while at their show. I've listened to it and enjoyed it. But it got me thinking about my playlist lately. These days my mp3 rotation has musicians like Sarah Harmer, Amy Winehouse, and the Be Good Tanya's. Good god I even downloaded some Sheryl Crow the other day. And how 'bout that Alanis Morissette My Humps cover? Sweet. But I am noticing a trend here.

There is an argument to be made that I am becoming more rounded and worldly. There is also an argument to be made that I am becoming a pussy. I'm loosing my edge. I have been getting in touch with my feminine side. I'm turning sensitive new age guy. I'm succumbing to girrl power. I've been whipped. I'm going touchy feely. I'm becoming one of the girls. Stop me before I ask directions or start matching my boxers.

I think I am going to blame Montana for this. Totally kick ass and thrashing bands like American Head Charge (*Wink*) just don't come to Montana. In fact the only good acts I have seen in Montana tend to be bluegrass and chick bands. Perhaps there is too much estrogen in the water supply. I just don't know what to do. How can I face my friends back at Big City and tell them that I have been buying chick music and liking it? I think I need a dose of punk stat.

Labels: , , , , , ,