Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Truckin'

It was an odd sort of thrill to watch the truck in the rearview. A big truck. An honest to god Smokey and the Bandit style eighteen wheeler and it was following me down a little dirt road. I poked my head out the window and looked back to make sure it would clear the power lines. It did. No sweat.

I met the new driver at the gasit mart up the road and immediately took a liking to him. "I've been driving for thirty years." He said. "I don't know what I would do if I couldn't travel like this." He said. "Tight corners are no problem, I like a challenge." He said. And so I drove him around the last leg of the route and showed him the railroad crossing that was such a bitch last year and showed him the tight corners and the power lines and he said "Okay, lets do it."

I led him with my little Subaru and admired the giant machine in my rearview. The rig owned that little dirt road. It dominated every inch of space while taking the corners. The top of the antenna didn't even come close to the lowest power line. The trees looked like they were stepping back to let it pass. It was a thing of beauty seeing it saunter up to the driveway and settle down with a hiss.

While we were unloading a neighbors pickup truck pulled up the road, took a look at the tight clearance to the side and reversed back the way he had come. "Of course you can't make it around," the driver mocked. "I'm bigger than you."

Labels: , , , , , , ,