Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Dismissing

Hey B_, do you have a minute? Well, regarding our conversation from last night, I cannot accommodate your request. M_ and I talked it over and we had made a different plan and we are not willing to change our plan for you. Yes, I understand there is a way to do what you are asking, but it also says in the employee handbook, which you signed off on, that no employee would get such treatment. I do not believe that when you were hired or at any other time I offered or implied any special treatment for you. Yes, we did do that in 2003, and again in 2005. But this year we are doing it differently. And there is also precedent from 2004 for doing this my way.

You know, B_, the kicker for me, the thing that made up my mind is that you put out your request as an ultimatum. That doesn't sit well with me. I do this knowing about your track record of good work, but I'm not going to let you tell me how to run my business.

Yes, of course you can apply next year. I am accepting of all applications. You know, I learned a lot of things from S_. The rule that he put out and that I will continue to follow is that all applicants are eligible for hire on a competitive basis. I can't answer that. I will do next years hiring next year.

I'm very sorry you had to drive out here to this result. What would you like to do next? Okay. Is there anything I can do to help you on your way? Can I buy you breakfast? B_, take care. I hope you find a successful summer. Good luck.

Later.

He took it pretty well, in his usual stoic way. I could tell he was upset. He made an argument for how we have done this before and that it is really no big deal, but I held my ground. Made me feel like a cold, heartless, ruthless bastard.

I'm worried that he is not going to see past the one little issue. I know that his was a small request and easy enough to accommodate but that isn't the point. This little thing is the straw that broke the camels back. I think he is going to be angry for a while. I just hope that he can find good in this. It would help him so much to see that change can be good. I have never understood how he can be so resistant to learning and growing.

I really hope that he eventually sees past this one issue and that this boot to the behind helps him move on to something bigger and better. Still, it makes me feel like a cold, heartless, miserly, wicked, uncaring, ruthless bastard.

Labels: , , , , , ,