Montana Jones

Montana n: A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. Admitted as the 41st state in 1889. The fourth largest state in the union, it includes vast prairies and numerous majestic mountain ranges.
Syn: Treasure State, Big Sky Country, Last Best Place.

Jones n: slang. An addiction or very deep craving.

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Moms computer

Mom:
These things just pop up on my screen and I don't know what they are or what to do about them. Computers confuse me.
Me:
Yeah, most of this crap you have been seeing is some of your software asking permission to check for or download upgrades off the net.
Mom:
So what do I do? I don't want things downloading and changing on me. I am confused enough without my programs changing themselves.
Me:
My rule of thumb is that if you system is working and doing what you want it to do, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. When a program pops up and asks to download something, just say no. Refusing to let your programs talk to the mothership will not hurt anything.
Mom:
Good. That's what I will do then.
Me:
But the rule of thumb has exceptions. Mainly operating system upgrades and other security stuff like your anti virus.
Mom:
Well, now I'm confused again. How do I know which of these to say yes to?
Me:
Well, I have your critical upgrades set to happen automatically in the background, so you shouldn't ever see them. You are safe saying no to everything that pops up and wants your attention.
Mom:
I really hate this Vista. I was just getting comfortable with my old computer when Dad replaced it with this one, and this one makes everything so hard. I just don't understand it.
Me:
I know. It is really a bad time to buy a computer right now. Microsoft won't let retailers sell anything except Vista, you can't get the older, better systems anymore. If we had known that the new computer was going to be this big of a turd we would have gotten you a Macintosh.

Labels: , , , , , , ,